Welcome!

My friend and I are glad you are here! Like a picture says: If your on this then I love you! Feel free to post comments as much as you want!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

TV Show Tallies


There are many kids’ TV shows out there, but how are they affecting the minds of kids? I watched two episodes each of three kids’ television shows: “Hannah Montana”, “Wizards of Waverly Place”, and my personal favorite, “How To Rock” to find out.  I kept a tally of the comments that were made to either build people up or tear people down.  I also indicated how each comment was meant to be viewed by the audience: positively (something that is funny or inspirational), negative (something the audience looks down on the character for saying), or neutral (insignificant enough to not have a strong reaction).

The percentages were as follows:

 


Total Build Up                    Positive                      Neutral                 Negative

234                                         137                         97                           0

(39%)                                    59%                        41%                        0%

 

 

Total Put Down                 Positive                  Neutral                 Negative            

367                                         281                         71                           15

(61%)                                    77%                        19%                        4%
 

46% of all the comments tallied were putdowns that were meant to be funny. 

 

My conclusion is that these TV shows are making put-downs seem like they are funny which can really hurt people’s feelings.  This is affecting teens in our society because they inspire bad behavior. So, TV shows can really change many kids because tearing somebody down is not funny.

3 comments:

  1. This is why I control what my kids (8 & 5 but developmentally delayed) watch so carefully. When we added in "Phineas & Ferb" in the spring because it's closer to age appropriate and their cousins were watching it (probably the most important factor) I had to start explaining to my 5 year old daughter why Candace was obsessed with busting her brothers and I'm not sure I did such a good job helping her to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What it's so bad is that the writers make it funny so it doesn't seem like such a bad thing. They don't seem to care or realize how much they're hurting so many kids.

    I'm proud of my Eastin!

    ReplyDelete